The science-based incubator VTT LaunchPad delivers VTT’s strategy to renew industries and society by spinning off companies built on VTT’s technologies. In the incubator, we bring VTT researchers and IPR together with the best business minds and investors out there.
Watch LaunchPad introduction and the pitches of our teams at our Meet and Greet event 11.10.2022.
VTT LaunchPad is committed to develop fundable spin-off companies with great impact
VTT is a powerhouse of technology development and scientific research. Many of the most significant Finnish technology start-ups were brought to life at VTT. VTT LaunchPad supports venture teams to develop VTT owned IPR into fundable startups geared for an international growth path.
About VTT LaunchPad
VTT LaunchPad started its incubation operations in the fore year of 2019. Internal VTT teams, who wish to develop a spin-off venture based on their research and inventions, can apply for the program all year round. However, the most typical way of joining the incubation program is through our Commercialisation workshop offered both in the spring and fall. The commercialisation workshop lays the foundation for spin-off path to aim high and dream big:
- What is the bold global impact that could be achieved in 10 years based on the technology you have developed?
- How to achieve the long-term impact?
- Who has the most burning need?
- Where should the project be in 3 years to be on the desired development path?
- Who should be involved in building the dream and who are the ones who could help?
In VTT LaunchPad, our spin-off projects are developed with either the Business Finland R2B (Research to Business) funding or our own funding. VTT LaunchPad facilitates and spars R2B funding applications across VTT in the Commercialization workshops and helps with complementing the research teams with external commercialization expertise.
The incubator’s own funding is faster by nature and can offer an accelerated path out. In our own funding, we apply the evidence based Lean Startup principles of reducing uncertainty one step at the time. We emphasize getting the ventures close to customers as early as possible to create startups that serve the real customer need.
The VTT LaunchPad incubator training program is tailored to cultivate high quality fundable spin-off startups, in addition to which we offer other help according to individual teams’ needs and current state of development.
Venture team development is of high importance to us, as that is the root cause of failure for most failed startups. In addition to the current sparring and training on this, we are constantly trying to improve and take our offering to the next level.
VTT LaunchPad's Ventures
VTT LaunchPad is a deep-tech incubator combining research, technology, mentors and investors.
We create bold science-driven companies to renew industries. Get to know our teams and be part of the future of new innovations now!
The incubation program offers
- Up to a year of pre-seed funding for the teams, guided by the Lean Startup principles
- IPR support and development
- Active team development
- Entrepreneurial training and courses
- Mentoring, contacts to investors and other partners
To enter to the VTT LaunchPad, the business idea must
- Be built on VTT IPR that can be spun off.
- Show market potential and be scalable.
- Have a positive impact and benefit for society and the customer.
- Be built on demonstrated technology.
- Be run by a team that can develop to a fundable team.
Ways of getting involved
We are constantly looking for individuals with proven track record of developing startups to international commercial success, who are interested in:
- Founding a science-based startup
- Joining a team as an entrepreneur
Benefits for an investor
- Early opportunities for interaction and investment.
- Early visibility into venture teams and tech trends.
- Science & research based new ventures with solid IPR.
- Exceptionally customer centric teams, proven customer need, problem-solution fit and customer commitment.
As a corporate partner
- You may be able to help with the productization
- Be the early stage customer
- Take part as an advisor of a Research to Business -project.
Meet our team
Lotta is the founder and manager of VTT LaunchPad with career long experience in strategic innovation in multiple new business creation environments in large international corporations. Lotta is firm believer of lean methodology, culture of trial and error and customer centeredness. Her vision is to develop and grow the VTT technology based spin-off pipeline to create fundable startups hungry for international growth.
Tiia-Maria works as a senior specialist at VTT LaunchPad. Her main roles are the communication and collaboration with the stakeholders and startup ecosystem, as well as, development of the mentoring program. She also supports Lotta in developing systematic practices for incubating research based spinoffs. She is the key contact in event and training organization for the VTT LaunchPad. Due to her previous career as a biomaterial researcher at VTT she understands the mindset of a scientist and is interested in supporting their mental shift to entrepreneurs.
Mio works as a junior business analyst at VTT LaunchPad. His task is to support VTT LaunchPad teams with business development. He helps the teams to create feasible and viable business cases, including business modeling, market & competitor analysis, and financial modeling. He is also active in the daily VTT LaunchPad operations.