Calibrations and metrology expert services
Calibrations are essential for controlling measurement reliability. Our calibration, measurement, and expert services provide reliability to the most demanding measurements in industry. All VTT MIKES calibration services comply with the standards ISO17025:2017 and ISO9001:2015.
We enhance companies’ competitiveness with our internationally recognized calibrations and other metrology services.
The high-quality laboratory infrastructure provides the most accurate measurements in Finland.
As the National Metrology Institute in Finland, VTT MIKES is part of an international network of leading metrology organisations.
On this page
On behalf of Finland, VTT MIKES is a signatory of the CIPM MRA, which is the framework through which National Metrology Institutes demonstrate the international equivalence of their calibrations. To fulfil the CIPM MRA requirements, the compliance with ISO 17025:2017 is reviewed regularly by the EURAMET Technical Committee for Quality (EURAMET TC-Q).
VTT MIKES offers metrology expert services for industry needs
We provide our expertise in creating industrial calibration procedures and systems for companies. For example, we can help your company to:
- Identify the instruments that need to be included in the calibration program and realisation of SI-traceability
- Review and clarify needs for uncertainty levels, calibration instructions and other quality documentation
- Assure the precision of your machine tools
- Evaluate your measurement system with RR-tests
Case: VTT’s analysis significantly improved accuracy of measurement results from planet Mars
When VTT started working with Finnish Meteorological Institute on measurement data collected on Mars, the goal was to estimate uncertainty levels. As a result of VTT’s error compensation model, the project exceeded expectations, and VTT’s researchers were able to considerably reduce the uncertainty levels of the measurements.
Meet our team
Jari Hällström has 30 years of experience in high voltage and high current metrology. He leads international expert working groups in EURAMET and IEC.
Antti Lassila has over 20 years of experience in high precision industrial and scientific length metrology.
VTT MIKES offers training and consultation for measurement uncertainty evaluations. We provide tailored training courses corresponding to the customer’s needs and general courses where participants learn basics about measurement uncertainty evaluation and its application in specific cases. We also help customers in carrying out measurement uncertainty calculations.
Contact us directly to discuss any tailored training needs!
Procedures to follow when sending equipment for calibration to VTT MIKES
- Get in contact with us at *[email protected]* to discuss your needs, get a quote, and agree on timing and details. You can also find our calibration price list here.
- Deliver the equipment accompanied by a cover letter including detailed information about the calibration, i.e. items to be calibrated, measurement points, etc. Include also contact information, invoicing address and delivery address.
- We perform the calibrations in our world-class laboratories in Espoo and Kajaani.
- We inform you when the calibrations have been completed and return the equipment to you using your preferred method. The standard way of returning the equipment is in the customer’s package. If requested, shipment insurance can be taken out (the insurance cost is paid by customer).
Kindly note that VTT MIKES is not responsible for any damage that may take place during transportation. In the calibration assignments, the general terms of contract of VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland ltd are followed where applicable.