Health data analytics
Growing access to data from wearable devices to national registers is creating new opportunities in health and wellness. At VTT, we combine and analyse health data from different sources to create commercially viable digital health solutions that enable better treatment and more efficient use of healthcare resources to increase well-being in the society in a sustainable manner.
We understand the health data ecosystem and have successfully worked with health data registers and biobanks. We provide our customers both research expertise and knowledge of the regulatory landscape – always prioritizing security.
We develop health data analytics solutions that can serve both medical professionals and the public. We have experience in working with different industries including medical device manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies.
VTT’s cross-disciplinary expertise allows us to bring together expertise from *sensors* to *cyber security* and tailor our services to fit your needs.
Increased knowledge of disease mechanisms, medication effectiveness, treatment options and health risk profiling at individual level are urgently needed to improve the efficiency of health care. At the heart of these improvements is health data.
World-class research, regulatory insights and a business mindset drive success in health data analytics
We support our partners and customers in all stages of health data related research and development, including
- generating clinical evidence based on real-world data
- developing diagnostic and decision support tools for clinicians
- developing algorithms for medical devices and consumer wellness devices
Our success in health data analytics is built on three components that make us a uniquely competent partner for data-driven health applications:
- Firstly, our excellence in modern data analytics methods and AI as well as our knowledge of data architectures and infrastructures creates the foundation for new, beyond-the-obvious innovations.
- Secondly, our nuanced understanding of the legislation and procedures related to the use of health data from national registers and biobanks allows us to navigate the often-complex regulatory frameworks.
- Finally, our customers benefit from our strong networks of health data providers, healthcare professionals, medical device and pharma industries.
VTT’s multidisciplinary team combines leading experts in both hardware and software. We research and develop human sensing solutions, wearable technologies, printed electronics, diagnostic technology, and algorithm-based data analytics to help collect and utilise data in a user-friendly, transparent, safe, and cost-effective manner.
Case: Nexstim - Brain stimulation revolutionises the medical treatment of clinical depression and chronic pain
VTT has worked together with personalized neuromodulation company Nexstim to develop algorithms that support the medical stimulation of the brain to enable targeted and effective medical treatment.
"It’s hard enough to find an algorithm developer with a strong know-how in medical applications. I still think that VTT’s biggest strength is their versatility. VTT can flexibly assemble a team that covers all the areas needed for a challenging R&D project."
At VTT, we understand how the industry works, and provide our customers and partners with a sound business perspective. We understand that impact depends on commercial viability of our projects, and that working with health data requires exceptionally high standards for data access management, cyber security, and privacy.
We provide services in different areas of smart health
VTT focuses on solving key challenges in strategic health technology areas including:
- Preventive health support
- Predictive diagnostics and care
- Precision medicine and personalisation of care
To respond to these challenges, we combine expertise in the following:
Health tracking and diagnostics based on sensor data is one of our core competences. We take pride in tailored solutions that are designed to solve real-world problems. We have experience working with highly diverse data and dealing with challenges, such as imperfect data and individual variability.
Examples of our biosignal analysis solutions:
- Vital sign tracking and analysis
- Digital biomarkers
- Sleep staging
- Sleep apnea detection
Medical image analysis
We develop algorithms for 3D medical data processing, quantification, and analysis. Examples of our medical image analysis solutions:
- Methods to generate synthetic 3D magnetic resonance (MRI) data with generative adversarial net
- Automatic region-of-interest segmentation, target localization and quantification of multi-dimensional data
National registers and biobanks
In addition to data collected directly through sensors, wearables, diagnostic devices, or patient reporting, VTT also has expertise in combining data from different sources, such as clinical databases, national registers and biobanks.
Project: PreMed project on pharmacogenetics of antithrombotic drugs
- One of the first studies integrating data from multiple Finnish biobanks, healthcare providers and national registers
- Found associations between genetic variants and clinical outcomes in antithrombotic drug
- Created models and best practices for industry-driven research using health data resource
Health care process optimization
Health care systems everywhere struggle with increasing demand and limited resources. VTT provides unique solutions for health care process optimisation for both home and hospital environments. We model and make complex continued-care pathways understandable to allow for objective and evidence-based decision making for resource optimisation.
We develop tools to support decision-making and needs of clinical health care, and to improve readiness to respond to future public health challenges.
We believe that technologies lessen the burden of health care professionals.
Fingenious® - VTT as partner
VTT is a partner in the Fingenious ecosystem. The Fingenious Service aims to advance your biomedical research by speeding up the search and compilation of relevant data. We serve both academic and industry researchers.
- Experiences on generating synthetic medical data with GAN models
- Pharmacogenetics of anticoagulation and clinical events in warfarin-treated patients
- Pharmacogenetics of bleeding and thromboembolic events in direct oral anticoagulant users
- Integrating data from multiple Finnish biobanks and national health-care registers for retrospective studies
- Development of medical applications based on AI models and register data – regulatory considerations
Meet our experts
Mika's special focus is on health data science enabling well-being and personalized medicine, with emphasis on cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
Specialised in health data analytics, healthcare information systems and infrastructures for secondary use of health and social services data.
Harri focuses on AI and machine learning methods for automated multi-dimensional medical image analysis. He enjoys tailoring state-of-the-art theory into working solutions meeting all aspects of customers' needs. Lately, he has been excited about neural networks and heavy computing.
How to work with us
Get in touch with us to harness the full potential of your health care technology and innovation initiatives. We can help you speed up your innovation process.
We develop proof-of-concept models and product prototypes for pilot production to demonstrate the reliability and readiness of new technologies for mass production.
We can help you improve the quality of technologies and the efficiency of their production and production chains. We also offer valuable support in the commercialisation process.
We work with companies and research institutions around the world. We are familiar with regulatory processes and can work with you in all stages of your project.