Thanks to intelligent autonomous systems, the future is safer, more efficient and full of low-emission and energy efficient solutions, meaningful job opportunities and new business possibilities.
Three things to know about autonomous systems
What makes a system autonomous?
Autonomous car Martti identifies obstacles with the help of sensors, self-learning AI and a network connection. These complex functions must work together seamlessly so that Martti can drive safely – without a driver.
What do different business areas look like in an autonomous world?
Traffic will be an uninterrupted service, based on individual choices. In logistics, autonomous systems will save time, energy and nature. Production becomes safer and more efficient with autonomous machines.
What kind of market potential autonomous systems hold?
76 billion euros will be spent on robotics by the end of the year 2025.
We have put Finland on the map as a developer of marine traffic, automated ports, mobile machinery and smart traffic
Without barrier-breaking collaborative R&D, Finland won’t develop fast enough.
To keep on top of the competition we need
- new experts,
- collaboration that breaks boundaries and
- ability to make use of quickly developing technologies.
The solution is the innovation ecosystem of autonomous systems, RAAS
Helps to solve future challenges of autonomous systems in collaboration.
- Grows the network of international highly-talented professionals ensuring we can answer today’s needs. Offers interdisciplinary services, research and development.
- Focuses on areas that are growing quickly: traffic, marine and port operations, mobile machinery and drones.
RAAS increases Finland’s exports and investments and heightens intellectual capital through collaboration
The benefits of RAAS for commerce
- Follows the ’one-stop-shop’ principle
- Attracts world’s leading experts to Finland
- Brings cutting-edge professionals together to work
- Builds bridges into learning between different industry sectors
- Supports the development of testbeds where experiments can be conducted.
By the year 2023 RAAS
- will activate international companies in RAAS-driven development activities in Finland by 27.
- will increase Finland’s international research volume by 10 million euros.
- will increase the volume of resumed national research funding on autonomous systems by 30 million euros.
- will increase the number of autonomous systems research experts by 15 %.
VTT’s role in RAAS
- VTT commercializes university research and brings innovations to companies to benefit from.
- VTT will focus specifically on operational design, ethical points of view and connectivity and cyber security.
- VTT operates particularly in the following domains: shipping, land transportation, mining, port operations and drones.