Powder piloting covers the whole production chain from powder manufacturing, consolidation and characterisation to creating components ready for performance.
VTT has three decades of excellence on powders.
We have a wide collection of powder manufacturing and characterisation equipment.
Our “Can do” attitude helps solve even the trickiest problems.
VTT PowderPiloting offers services from early stage feasibility studies and market surveys to pilot scale production of powder-based materials and components. Our material expertise specialises on powder technology including metals and ceramics. We can boost up our customers’ development needs and adoption of resource efficient manufacturing and alternative materials for substitution. VTT has all the potential equipment and we can solve missing information from your production chain.
Focus on material solutions
- Powder manufacturing: gas atomisation, plasma spheroidisation
- Components: 3D printing, powder metallurgy, powder injection moulding (PIM)
- Coatings: thermal spray, laser claddings
- Powder-based additives: reinforced castings, catalytic, functional fillers e.g. EM shielding
- Circular economy solutions (secondary raw material based solutions): utilisation of industrial side-streams in powder technology and creating added value for the side streams.
Detailed information of VTT PowderPiloting Service.
VTT PowderPiloting provides an extension to a company's own R&D
We have three decades of excellence and a wide selection of powder manufacturing and characterisation equipment. Detailed information about VTT PowderPiloting facilities can be found here.
VTT has expertise on:
- Whole chain from raw material synthesis to component performance testing
- Pilot scale processing of materials and components
- Feasibility studies to check ideas and inventions
- Tailored material compositions
- Material efficiency and better use of recycled materials and side streams as secondary raw material in products
- Support for different stages on product process.
VTT’s powder piloting has been very successful
Optimisation of processes leads to new products. With VTT's expertise, Millidyne Oy was able to extend their product portfolio and commercialise a new product under Neoxide® trademark to HVOF ceramic coatings market.
PowderPiloting provides an extension to a company's own R&D and VTT’s powder technology enables novel 3D printed solutions.
We also have an example of a case where strength was increased by developing nanoalloys. VTT collaborated with Exote Oy to create new material solutions for wear and corrosion protection also at high temperatures.
Powder materials can also offer a simple way to modification properties of base material. Versatility of powder-based additives offer almost unlimited possibilities, such as more sustainable and economic components based on graded or locally reinforced structures or added functionality like integrated catalytic properties or electro-magnetic properties.
VTT has been a member of EPMA since 2015.