Micronova center for applied micro and nanotechnology
Micronova is located in Espoo, Finland and features the largest R&D cleanroom in the Nordic countries. The Micronova facility is run jointly by VTT and Aalto University. It is part of Finland’s national research infrastructure for micro-, nano- and quantum technology - OtaNano.
Micronova features two cleanrooms, with processing capabilities for silicon-based CMOS, MEMS and photonics devices, 3D integration and thin film components.
We offer cleanroom services and the entire development cycle of micro- and nanofabrication from fundamental research to small-scale production.
The facility is located at the Otaniemi Technology Campus in Espoo, Finland, it is jointly run by VTT and Aalto University.
Micronova cleanroom facilities
Shaping a brighter future with microelectronics
Nano-thermoelectric infrared bolometers at VTT
In Micronova, VTT conducts microelectronics related R&D. We develop innovative enabling technologies and apply them to practical micro and nanosystems. There are two cleanrooms, which together form the largest R&D cleanroom in the Nordic countries. Small scale semiconductor manufacturing is possible in Micronova.
Micronova is a central hub for the Finnish electronics industry ecosystem. The cleanrooms have processing capabilities for silicon-based CMOS, MEMS and photonics devices, as well as 3D integration and thin film components. In Micronova cleanrooms, our researchers innovate and develop new sensors, detectors, photonics components, passive RF components, PMUTs and other MEMS devices, as well as state-of-the-art quantum devices. We have dedicated maintenance, process engineering, quality and operations professionals.
VTT offers research and development of new materials, technologies, devices, systems and processes. We also offer access to VTT’s cleanroom and process equipment. VTT is unique as it can offer its customers and partners the entire development cycle from fundamental research and process development to prototyping and small-scale production.
Our services are customized according to our customers' needs. We also provide education and training in micro- and nanotechnologies.
- Research and Development
- Confidential Contract Research
- Material and Device Characterisation
- Education and Training
- Access to Cleanroom Facilities
- Total Area 2 600 m2
- Cleanroom Classification ISO 4…ISO 6
- Temperature 21 °C ± 0,5 °C
- Relative humidity 45 % ± 5
- Clean bay – Service chase type
- Raised perforated floor
- Subfab with technical support areas
Labs with built-in cleanroom
- Micro-packaging lab – dicing saws, wire bonding
- SubTech lab – Ion implantation, CMP, backgrinder, wafer bonder
World-class infrastructure for R&D and smalls scale production
Micronova is located at the Otaniemi Technology Campus in Espoo, Finland and is jointly run by VTT and Aalto University. The building also comprises other laboratories mainly for characterization, system level demonstration, space qualification, such as ESA’s external laboratory on millimeter wave technologies - MilliLab, laboratories for a quantum and cryogenic characterization, optics and photonics characterization, as well as a sensor laboratory for everything that development of electronics requires.
VTT's Micronova Cleanroom holds the ISO 9001:2008 certification for fabrication, small-volume production and facility maintenance.
In addition to Micronova, VTT also runs a cleanroom in the city of Oulu. In our cleanroom in Oulu, our researchers develop hybrid integration solutions for packaging including micromodules, printed intelligence and low temperature co-fired ceramics (LTCC) solutions.
Processing capabilities in Micronova fab: VTT has more than 200 equipment in the semiconductor fab.
- i-line stepper, 5:1, 0.35 µm CD
- Contact/proximity aligners
- Electron-beam writing
- Nanoimprinting (step & stamp)
- Oxide; thin film and Advanced Oxide Etching
- Metals; Al, Mo, Ti-W, Nb (TCP)
- Deep silicon etching;
- Anhydrous HF vapor
- Wet etching, various
- Critical-point drying
- Six sputtering tools
- LPCVD of nitride, poly, and oxide
- TEOS, LTO
- PECVD; nitride and oxide
- ALD: aluminium oxide, titanium oxide
Plating, Spin Coating
- Cu (via or wiring), Ni, Sn-Ag, Sn-Pb,
- In-Sn, Au
- Polyimide, BCB
- CMP of Si/oxide or copper
- Direct wafer bonding
- Thin-wafer handling
- Ion trimming
- Scanning electron microscope
- Scanning probe microscope
- Scanning acoustic microscope
- Optical film characterization
- Atomic force microscope
- Alignment accuracy measurement
- Wafer defect inspection system
- Wafer dicing
- Flip-chip bonding
- Wire bonding
- Thermal compression bonding
- Medium-current; n- or p-type doping of silicon
- Wafer level test systems
- High speed electrical and optical testing capabilities
- Multiple labs for offline testing and characterization