VTT holds strong expertise on corrosion phenomena and prevention in a wide variety of applications and environments. We offer our customers high-quality knowledge and facilities for corrosion research, monitoring, modelling and prevention methods.
Corrosion is one of the most common and expensive challenges for a range of industrial fields. Preventing corrosion provides great savings in operation and maintenance costs, improves health and safety issues and ensures good product quality. Root-cause analyses provide means for proper material and system optimisation. Field studies and experimental work may be complemented with state-of-the-art computational modelling. Corrosion research combines sophisticated surface and metallurgical characterization techniques, electrochemical methods and microbiological analyses.
Examples of our core competence areas in generic and tailored corrosion research are:
- Tailored field research based on customer’s needs
- Comparison of material candidates and prevention strategies
- On-line electrochemical monitoring techniques, monitoring of deposit formation
- Corrosion prediction
- Failure analysis
Examples of corrosion issues we have been working with:
- General corrosion
- Crevice and pitting corrosion
- Environmentally-assisted cracking
- Microbially induced corrosion, biofouling
- Combined effects of corrosion and wear (tribocorrosion)
- Atmospheric corrosion
- High-temperature corrosion