Advanced bioanalytical methods are essential for successful process, product and material development. VTT provides characterisation and quantification of chemicals, metabolites and proteins.
Key facts: advanced bioanalytics
We provide bioanalytical services to our clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and chemistry fields.
We use mass spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance-based analyses for characterisation and for quantification of cellular metabolites and chemical composition
We determine polymer structures by several methods including NMR.
We provide our customers with high quality data to help them make scientifically solid R&D decisions. With advanced bioanalytical methods, we produce data on chemicals, metabolites and proteins to help customers in fields such as pharmaceuticals or biotechnology and chemistry to develop better processes or products.
We provide our customers with agile, tailor-made analytical solutions for product and process development needs.
We specialise in agile, tailor-made analytical solutions based on mass spectrometry (MS) and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR). We utilise these techniques to characterise and quantify chemical composition, bioactive compounds or protein modifications in biological matrices. We have long experience in analysing cellular metabolites, lipids, carbohydrates as well as proteins and their post-translational modifications.
Mass spectrometry (MS) analyses
- Screening analysis of metabolites and lipids by UHPLC-HRMS (ultra-high performance liquid chromatography combined with high-resolution mass spectrometry)
- Analysis of post-translational modifications of proteins using UHPLC-HRMS based methods: peptide mapping experiments and analysis of released glycans
- Structure confirmation and compound identification based on HR-MS experiments
- Targeted, quantitative analysis of volatile and semi-volatile compounds such as sterols, free and esterified fatty acids, using gas chromatography-MS (GC-MS)
- Targeted, quantitative analysis of e.g. mycotoxins, intracellular metabolites or lipids with liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) by using a multiple reaction monitoring (MRM) technique
- Fast LC-MS/MS analysis of metabolites directly from microtiter plates in our high-throughput screening platform with a screening robot.
Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopic analysis
- 13C metabolic flux analysis (MFA) for determination of the flux distribution
- NMR metabolomics with either the traditional binning approach or quantum mechanical spectral analysis (QMSA)
- Monitoring enzymatic (or other) reactions and their kinetics
- NMR analysis of intact living microbial cells, also with high resolution magic angle spinning (HR-MAS) NMR
- In vivo NMR for determination of intra cellular pH
- Identification of novel metabolites and metabolic pathways
- Structural and conformational analysis of oligo and polysaccharides
- Protein–ligand interactions ligand-based NMR methods, like saturation transfer difference (STD) NMR or transferred NOEs
- Structural analysis of polymers, including lignin