VTT Leadership team
President & CEO
- VTT’s President and CEO since 2015
- President of the Executive Board of EARTO (European Association of Research and Technology Organisations)
- Chair of the Board of Service Sector Employers PALTA
- Member of the Executive Committee and the Board of Confederation of Finnish Industries (EK)
- Member of the Board and the People and Compensation Committee of Elisa
- Member of the Research and Innovation Council
- Member of the Board of Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation
- Previous positions: Tieto Oyj, Executive Vice President, Product Development Services 2012-2015. Nokia Oyj, Senior Vice President 2003-2012. SmartTrust Oy, CEO 2000-2003. McKinsey & Company, Senior Engagement Manager 1993-2000.
Executive Vice President, Knowledge-Intensive Products and Services
- EVP of VTT’s Knowledge-intensive products and services business area since 2018
- Member of the Board and the General Subcommittee of the Academy of Finland
- Member of the Board of CSC – IT Center for Science
- Member of the Board of FISC ry (Finnish Information Security Cluster)
- Previous positions: VTT, various positions 1997-2001 and since 2004. Cybelius SW, Director 2001-2004.
Executive Vice President, Smart Industry and Energy Systems
- EVP of VTT’s Smart Industry and Energy Systems business area since 2016
- Chair of the Board of VTT SenseWay Oy
- Member of the Innovation and competitiveness group of Technology Industries of Finland
- Member of the Board of A.SPIRE (Sustainable process industry and resource efficiency initiative)
- Adjunct professor, Stony Brook University, USA
- Previous positions: VTT, various positions since 2000. TUT 1998-1999. RWTH Aachen, Germany 1997-1998. TUT 1992-1997.
Executive Vice President, Solutions for Natural Resources and Environment
- EVP of VTT’s Solutions for natural resources and environment business area since 2016
- Member of the Board of Clic Innovation Oy
- Previous positions: VTT, various positions since 1999. Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, Program Director 2014-2016.
Executive Vice President, Commercial Operations
- VTT’s EVP, Commercial Operations since 2018
- Member of the Board of DIMECC Oy
- Member of the Board of Espoo Marketing Oy
- Member of the Board of Premix Oy
- Previous positions: VTT, Vice President, Sales, Business Development & Marketing 2017-2018. Outokumpu Oyj, Vice President, Global Marketing 2015–2017 and 2008-2013. Paroc Oy, Chief Marketing Officer 2014. TeliaSonera Oyj, Senior Manager 2006–2008. Vectia Oy, Management Consultant 2000–2006
Chief Financial Officer
MSc (Econ), eMBA
- VTT’s CFO since 2016
- Previous positions: TDC Oy, CFO 2008-2015. TDC Oy, Business Controlling Manager 2002-2008. Song Networks Oy, Controller 1999-2001. Masterfoods Oy, Business Planning Analyst 1997-1999.
Senior Vice President, Human Resources
- VTT’s SVP, Human Resources since 2016
- Member of the Board of Traffic Management Finland Group and Chair of the personnel committee
- Previous positions: Outotec Oyj, SVP, Human Resources 2013-2016. Cargotec Oyj, EVP, Human Resources and Communications 2006-2012. GlaxoSmithKline Oy, Human Resources Director / Finland 2001-2006. Datex-Ohmeda Oy, Director, Global Education 1998-2001.
Vice President, Strategy & Business Intelligence
- VTT’s VP, Strategy & Business Intelligence since 2019
- Chair of the research committee of Tulanet, an alliance of Finnish research organisations
- Member of the Finnish Environment Institute’s advisory board
- Member of Committee of the Finnish Foundation for Technology Promotion
- Previous positions: VTT, Vice President, Research 2016-2018. VTT, Vice President, Business Development 2014-2016. VTT, Director, Value Networks 2011-2013. VTT, Technology Manager/Research Manager/Customer Manager 2001-2011. VTT, Research Scientist 1992-2001.
Senior Scientist, personnel representative
- Employee representative
- Member of the Board and the Council of Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland TEK
- Various positions at VTT since 1986.
VTT's business areas
Knowledge-intensive products and services
The digital revolution provides an opportunity to create sustainable growth stemming from new innovations, business models and their combinations. Our research focuses on disruptive technologies such as digital health, space technologies and opportunities of quantum computing.
Smart industry and energy systems
Our goal is to create a new competitive edge by developing smart solutions for industrial and energy systems. Wide-ranging changes in industry, energy production and the energy system are a particular focus of our research. The business area works closely with the industry, with innovation ecosystems as essential aspects of this cooperation.
Solutions for natural resources and the environment
The transition to a sustainable economy requires society and companies to be able to increase the value production of material flows, extend the life spans of products and materials and replace fossil-based raw materials with renewable alternatives. Our areas of expertise include industrial biotechnology and innovative food solutions, biomass processes and products, along with sustainable energy solutions and chemical technology.