New technology and services enable more efficient and environmentally friendly transport and logistics systems. VTT know-how combines advanced technology and methods, business expertise and a deep understanding of value chains to deliver the transport solutions of tomorrow.
How VTT can help you in your business?
VTT is active in all forms of terrestrial transport, both passenger and freight. Our expertise is in designing and defining the right approach for your business, as well as choosing the right tools and methodology.
Our specific areas of expertise:
- Connected and automated driving
- Low-carbon mobility and technologies
- Mobility services and transport ecosystems
- Piloting and impact assessments
- Test environments and co-creation Living Labs
- Road and transport safety
- Transport system development and logistics
Examples of our services include:
- Transport information services and transport management development
- Impact assessments
- Simulations and calculation tools (transport, traffic, fleet, routes)
- New service concept development
- Extensive field operations tests
- Reports to support decision-making
- Development of supply and mobility chains
- Virtual (AR/VR/MR) technologies and simulators
- Electric & low carbon fuel and vehicle technologies, testing and design
Building the transportation landscape of the future
VTT is building a future where transport is more of a service. The proportion of public transport and carpooling in densely populated urban areas will increase. Mobility through easy-to-use services will become a viable alternative to buying a private vehicle.
In the future there is a growing need for user-centric mobility serving big masses in urban areas as well as individual travellers and tourism in sparsely populated areas. VTT is fostering smart and sustainable user-centric mobility by converging mobility, travelling and destinations to enable seamless travel chains and mobility, effortless sustainable individual travelling and access to destinations conveniently.
The transport landscape that we envision will be a fusion of sustainable energy sources, advanced technology, safety, high service levels, mobility alternatives and new ways of operating.
Choose VTT for technological advancement in transport
The implementation of the transport-as-a-service concept is an important change. VTT contributes to its development from the perspective of technological advancement, the structure of the service ecosystem, and evaluative research. We have developed several tools and techniques for improving road safety and the transport system that have been successfully implemented both in Finland and abroad.
The most notable technologies and solutions that VTT has developed:
- Automated emergency messaging system (eCall),
- Interoperable systems and technologies pertaining to road conditions and ice detection
- On the freight transport side: Technologies promoting safety and automation of transport chains
- Value added mobility service ecosystem
The goal of intelligent transport is to give road users a choice between several user-friendly services that help them to combine the most suitable means of transport from multiple options.
VTT is developing new technologies for modern vehicles both in the automotive and heavy work machine industry domains.
The most important VTT research areas in the traffic safety are safety strategies and management, driver and other road user behaviour, traffic monitoring, and rail and maritime transport.
Electric vehicle systems
VTT is your partner of choice in planning and design of urban electric bus systems as well as electrification of other commercial vehicles and mobile machinery.
VTT promotes and facilitates development of sustainable transport systems. We help regional, national and EU-level public sector organisations and businesses to move towards sustainable mobility.
VTT has solid technological expertise in logistics including monitoring, automated identification, electronic information exchange, security technologies and energy-efficiency solutions for heavy transport.
Fuel cells and hydrogen
Fuel cells are a modern means for an efficient and clean production of electricity anywhere it is needed.
Driver monitoring vision system, Toyota Infotech Ltd., Cargotec Oyj
Download the free publication:
Smart sustainable mobility