VTT PowderPiloting offers services from early stage feasibility studies and market surveys to pilot scale production of powder based materials and components. We are material experts specialised on powder based materials. We can boost up your development needs and adoption of resource efficient manufacturing and alternative materials for substitution.
Our focus is on material solutions for:
- Components: 3D printing, powder metallurgy
- Coatings: Thermal spray, laser claddings
- Powder based additives: Reinforced castings, catalytic, functional fillers e.g. EM shielding
- Circular economy solutions (secondary raw material based solutions): Utilization of industrial side-streams in powder technology and in added value industrial materials
VTT PowderPiloting provides extension to company's own R&D
- Whole chain from raw material synthesis to component performance testing
- Pilot scale processing of materials and components
- Feasibility studies to check ideas and inventions
- Tailored material compositions
- Material efficiency and better use of recycled materials and side streams as secondary raw material in products
- Support for different stages on product process
Material solutions for components, coatings, functional additives and circular economy
With VTT PowderPiloting we are able to provide all development activities in one location enabling tailor made and fast service. Our material expertise combined with application know-how enables proper selection of materials to meet demands of the specific operation environment.
High performance components with tailored properties
Powder based materials offer freedom of design to realise high performance components with economic and ecological way. Powder metallurgy enables unique possibilities to tailor properties of component to meet even the highest demands of the operation environment. By utilising route from material design to product design and manufacturing new components with optimised properties can be realised.
- Additive Manufacturing - read more about the development steps from powder to product on Slideshare.
- Powder injection moulding (PIM) - read more about the process on Slideshare.
Coatings for demanding operation environments
Coatings offer versatile solutions against wear, corrosion and high temperatures in wide range of industrial sectors such as energy, mining and transport. By proper selection and/or tailoring material properties the cost efficient solutions fulfilling performance criterias of the operational environment can be realised.
Read more about Thermal Spraying on Slideshare.
Major advantages to properties with functional additives
Powder materials offer simple way to modification properties of base material. Versatility of powder based additives offer almost unlimited possibilities, such as more sustainable and economic components based on graded or locally reinforced structures or added functionality like integrated catalytic properties or electro-magnetic properties.
Circular economy by utilising new raw material sources
Sustainable material solutions based on utilisation of industrial side streams and by-products as a material feedstock. Increasing raw material prices with simultaneous attempts towards energy efficient processes enabling lower carbon footprint products are drivers for utilisation of secondary raw materials. Powder technologies offer possibility to utilise these new raw material sources and develop cost efficient processing routes for products.
Read more about Circular economy - secondary raw materials on Slideshare