Early risk identification is key for success
Prior to any large energy generation investment, a thorough and broad investment feasibility, risk identification and - quantification are key elements for a successful business case and successful completion of a wind farm. VTT has wind power related special expertize in various fields of risk quantification from icing risk assessment to noise measurements and modelling services.
Towards a sustainable business case
We can help you identify potential challenges early on in the wind farm project development phase and develop solutions before problems arise. We are able to provide assistance from my fields of science. We can also troubleshoot and evaluate existing challenges and identify solutions.
Wind Power Icing Atlas (WIceAtlas)
Early quantification of icing risks for site assessment is currently very difficult due to limited available icing information. With VTT’s global WiceAtlas icing map tool, it is possible to assess icing risks for wind power anywhere in the world easily and quickly.
Key features and benefits of WiceAtlas:
- World’s first global wind power icing and low temperature map
- Long-term in-cloud icing observations and measurements.
NO WEATHER SIMULATIONS!
- Evaluate production losses due to icing in pre- and post-construction phase
Free Icing Map -tool
Grid Code Compliance
ENTSO-E and national Grid Code requirements (e.g. Fingrid VJV2013) set requirements and possible challenges for the connection and operation of production units. VTT has insight in the different requirements, expertese in finding solutions for related challenges, as well as several years’ experience in carrying out the required power plant modeling and simulations.
Key features and benefits of our competences:
- Expert knowledge ranging from wind turbine characteristics to electricity grid operations
- PSS®E software consultancy license and experience in wind turbine manufacturer models and simulations
- PSCAD/EMTDC modeling and simulations
Noise assessment methodologies
Wind turbines may create aerodynamic and mechanical sound to the nearby surroundings. VTT has a long experience in evaluation, analysis, and modelling of wind turbine sound specific features. VTT has also been developing the noise regulation guidelines for Finland.
Key features and benefits:
- Audible model to evaluate human experience
- Computation methodology and evaluation of specific noise features (amplitude modulation, tonality and impulsiveness)
- Virtual and augmented reality tools to combine visual and audible information
More information on noise and sound quality
Radar, TV and communications interference
Large, rotating wind turbines create challenges for systems utilizing radio signals. VTT has developed unique competence, methods and software tools to assess the influence of turbines on radar, television and communications signals.
Key features and benefits:
- In-house methods and simulation software to assess the effect of planned wind farms on radar, television and mobile communications
- Prediction of the effect on air surveillance radar coverage and false detection probability
- Measurement methods for effects on mobile communications
- Radar effect studies made for over 100 planned wind farms in Finland.