Autoclaves, creep, corrosion, fatigue, metallography and microscopy
The research facility provides extremely broad coverage of different areas of material testing. The Research Hall houses autoclave laboratories, a non-destructive testing laboratory, a creep laboratory, a hot corrosion laboratory, and fatigue-testing equipment. The research facility also includes a comprehensive metallography laboratory with extensive resources for microscopy and corrosion testing, a hot cell laboratory for irradiated materials, and a separate movable trailer laboratory for materials testing in dangerous and caustic environments.
Working in exceptionally diverse conditions, more than 50 VTT specialists carry out high-quality customised material tests to meet the needs of customers. Whether the question concerns a welding imperfection, a film-fouled heat exchanger or a nuclear fuel disposal capsule, our quality research will find a suitable material solution, reducing our customers' material costs and improving production efficiency and component lifetime management.
Autoclave laboratory for fracture mechanics and environment studies between room temperature and 700oC
Autoclave laboratory for environmentally assisted corrosion studies of irradiated samples.
- Includes several servo-hydraulic, mechanical and electrochemical material testing devices as well as autoclave equipment with water circulation loops for environmentally assisted corrosion and fatigue studies.
- Includes mechanical material testing devices as well as autoclave equipment with water circulation loops for environmentally assisted corrosion and fatigue studies of irradiated materials.
- Non-destructive testing to be used to detect or to size defects in samples including the following available methods: radiography (x-rays), ultrasonic testing, eddy current testing, liquid penetrant testing, magnetic particle testing and visual testing
- Laboratory for creep testing of metallic materials at elevated temperatures. The equipment consists of uniaxial creep machines and a servo-pneumatic devices, which can be used for creep-fatigue testing, and of a tube testing facility where tubes can be tested under combined internal pressure and axial load.
- Fatigue testing for components and structures
Hot corrosion laboratory
- Laboratory for high temperature oxidation and corrosion studies of materials.
- Includes different microscopic techniques (optical, scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM)) and corrosion testing (e.g. electrochemical testing)
Hot cell and microscopy in a separate building
- Fracture mechanics and metallography of irradiated materials without environmental effects.
Movable trailer laboratory for material studies in dangerous (e.g. H2S) and caustic environments
- Includes mechanical and electrochemical material testing devices as well as autoclave equipment for environmentally assisted corrosion and fatigue studies.