What is driving our transportation future?
New technologies and integrated mobility networks, combined with increased autonomy, are driving our transportation future. Mass transport is moving swiftly towards easy-to-use, door-to-door mobility driven by highly automated chains of personalized transportation types, while safe and fluent traffic flows are being empowered by autonomous highway, air and rail solutions.
While autonomous transport might sound like the business of tomorrow, VTT can help you get moving on it today!
What is needed for today and for the future?
There are many expected positive outcomes to go with automating cars and mass transportation. VTT has a lot of research and testing already on the table in the following autonomous transport solutions, including the development of more personalized demand response solutions:
- Road vehicles
- First-mile/last-mile transit
The following enabling technological capabilities bring benefits already today making vehicles easier and more efficient to operate, and keeping drivers and crews safer. They are also needed to realize the future.
- Situational awareness
- Big data
- Decision making
- Remote monitoring
- Smart connectivity
From concepts to transformative technologies
In autonomous vehicles, VTT can offer comprehensive test results of automated functions or scenarios:
- Feasibility studies can be used to test your own sensors using VTT's automated vehicle platforms, designed to collect sensor data from a range of environments.
- Vehicle platforms can be used to test connected driving functions or be used for carrying out field operational tests to better understand the impact of automated cars on roads.
- Cyber security is high on our research and testing agenda in automated vehicle testing. VTT can guide you all the way in this from preliminary security requirements to active security measures as well as full-scale cyber testing of autonomous control devices.
- Simulation-based safety testing including operational scenario-based tests and systematic evaluations against set requirements is our specialty. These kinds of intelligent simulations are just what is needed to prove the concept viability of autonomous transport and bring shift in thinking towards renewal of the entire industry.
Autonomous transportation also needs smart connections. VTT is involved in the development of mobility as a service (MaaS), where passengers or commercial goods travel doorstep to doorstep in one continuous and connected travel chain with the option to adjust real-time journeys along the way.