Sense’21 gathers sensing industry leaders for a two-day seminar in Vantaa, Finland to discuss innovations and future visions on sensing solutions and applications. In addition to gaining new knowledge and insights, Sense'21 seminar is a great place for face-to-face networking after two years filled with online events.
Sense'21 seminar themes:
- Medical, health and well-being sensors
- Optical instruments for industry
- Sensing of air quality
- Advanced microelectronics for sensing
- Remote sensing and situational awareness with space technologies
Besides top guest speakers, Sense´21 features VTT demonstrators showcasing a wide variety of new sensor use cases. The start-up session presents the latest VTT spin-offs and start-up companies related to sensing technologies, as well as a panel discussion with start-up entrepreneurs and investors on the growth journey to success.
Agenda, Day 1
Tuesday, 5 April, 2022
Session 1: Future visions from well-being to space
Chairman: Jyrki Kiihamäki, Co-Creation Manager, VTT
- 9:00 Welcome and opening of the seminar, Erja Turunen, EVP, VTT
- 9.10 Keynote 1: The challenges in sensing of human body, Erno Muuranto, Managing Director, GE Healthcare Finland
- 9.30 Long-range Multispectral LiDAR, Albert Manninen, Laser and Hyperspectral Group Leader, Outsight
- 9.50 Demo pitches, VTT
10.30 - 11.00 BREAK & DEMOS
Session 2: Air Quality
Chairman: Tapio Pernu, Research Team Leader, VTT
- 11.00 High-end optical gas sensing applications, Tuomas Hieta, Dr, Gasera
- 11.20 Electrical particle sensing for robust, online air quality and emission monitoring, Erkka Saukko, Senior R&D engineer, Pegasor
- 11.40 Vaisala Air Quality sensing solution with special focus on Particulate Matter, Jaakko Yli-Ojanperä, Technology Manager, Vaisala
- 12.00 Satellite remote sensing of emissions to mitigate climate change, Johanna Tamminen, Professor, Head of Earth Observation Unit, Finnish Meteorological Institute
12.20 - 13.30 LUNCH, DEMOS & NETWORKING
Session 3: Optoelectronic measurements
Chairman: Katariina Rahkamaa-Tolonen, Research Team Leader, VTT
- 13.30 Latest advances in measurement and control technology in mining industry, Jani Kaartinen, Director of Smart Products and Processes, Metso-Outotec
- 13.50 Applying machine vision algorithms in quality monitoring of high temperature processes, Saku Kaukonen, CEO, Sapotech
- 14.10 Hyperspectral imaging applications, Jussi Rautiainen, CTO, Senop
- 14.30 Recent developments in optical methods for industrial testing and characterization, Tapio Fabritius, Professor, Head of the Optoelectronics and Measurement Techniques Research Unit, University of Oulu
14.50 - 15.20 BREAK & DEMOS
Session 4: High performance microsystems and sensing
Chair: Mika Prunnila, Professor
- 15.20 Prospects of thermophotonic refrigerators for sensor applications, Jani Oksanen, Group Leader, Aalto University
- 15.40 Visible-to-short-wave-infrared image sensors and cameras, Mark Allen, Director of Product Projects, Emberion
- 16.00 Sensing elements for magnetic Barkhausen noise method and advancements in X-ray diffraction detection, Mikko Palosaari, R&D Manager, Stresstech
- 16.20 Single-frequency lasers for quantum technology and spectroscopy, Jussi-Pekka Penttinen, Vexlum
- 16.40 Superconducting quantum computer technology at IQM, Juha Hassel, IQM Quantum Computers
18.00 - 21.00 EVENING RECEPTION
Agenda, Day 2
Wednesday, 6 April, 2022
Session 5: Remote sensing and situational awareness with space technologies
Chairman: Marko Höyhtyä, Co-Creation Manager, VTT
- 9.00 Situational awareness enabled by space technologies, Marko Höyhtyä, Co-Creation Manager, VTT
- 9.20 Real-time monitoring enabled by SAR satellite constellation, Tero Vauraste, Senior Advisor, Iceye
- 9.40 Utilising space data for environmental monitoring, Joni Norppa, CEO, Terramonitor
- 10.00 Simulation as a tool to design and analyse satellite systems, Jani Puttonen, Director of Simulation Services, Magister
10.20 - 10.45 BREAK & DEMOS
Session 6: Start-up pitches & panel discussion
Chairman: Jukka Jaatinen, Head of Business Development, VTT
- 10.45 Adamant Health - accurate analysis of movement disorders (PD), Paulus Carpelan, CEO, Adament Health
- 10.55 Summa Labs - 'Hormones don't lie', Juuso Nissilä, Co-Founder, Summa Labs
- 11.05 The Warming Surfaces Company – Platform for roll-to-roll integration of heating and sensing inside interior design and building materials, Jani-Mikael Kuusisto, Co-Founder, The Warming Surface Company
- 11.15 Movesole - Mobile gait and motion measurement device, Eero Kaikkonen, CTO, Movesole
11.25 - 12.30 LUNCH, DEMOS & NETWORKING
12.30 Panel discussion:
- Paulus Carpelan, CEO, Adament Health
- Juuso Nissilä, Co-Founder, Summa Labs
- Jani-Mikael Kuusisto, Co-Founder, The Warming Surface Company
- Eero Kaikkonen, CTO, Movesole
- Jaakko Lampela, Nordic Option
Introduction of Nordic Option Venture Capital Fund by Jaakko Lampela
Who I am and how I became entrepreneur – Short stories by Start-up representatives
Different ways to Start-up entrepreneurship – is there typical paths?
Main things taken care off, when applying funding for business idea.
Challenges on the way towards working business.
13.30 - 13.50 BREAK & DEMOS
Session 7: Medical, health and wellbeing sensors
Chairman: Jani Mäntyjärvi, Principal Scientist, VTT
- 13.50 Keynote 2: Silicon Photonics – driving innovative new opportunities in personal health monitoring, Markku Hirvonen, Rockley Photonics
- 14.10 Robust specialized eye-tracking solutions, Roman Bednarik, Researcher, SeeTrue Technologies
- 14.30 Wearables for Health - Visions of the Future, Ilkka Korhonen, Professor, University of Tampere
- 14.50 Novel applications enabled with a sensitive Real Time 3D-sensing technology, Jorma Palmen, CTO, LaDiMo
- 15.10 Closing, Erja Turunen, EVP, VTT
Time: 5 - 6 April 2022
All fees include admission to seminar, refreshments on breaks, lunches, seminar materials and evening networking banquet.
- Registration fee is 350 € + VAT 24%
Invited speaker: free of charge
Demonstrator: free of charge (Note: you will receive a separate registration link)
Registrations for October 2021 will be valid on April 2022. However, if you wish to cancel your attendance, you can do this by contacting email@example.com.
Administration fee 70 € + VAT 24% will be charged of cancellations until 4 March 2022. After 4 March 2022, no refund will be made from the fees.
Payment is done by credit card or with an invoice. No cash is accepted.
In case the seminar would have to be cancelled due to COVID-19, the participation fee will be fully refunded.
Each participant will receive a name badge which should be worn at all times during the seminar. Attendees without a name badge will not be permitted entry.
Arrival and parking information: arriving_parking_clarion_hotel_aviapolis.pdf (nordicchoicehotels.com). Kindly note that the parking fee is not included in the seminar fee.
To make your visit in Vantaa more enjoyable, we have reserved a limited hotel accommodation quota for you, conveniently at the event venue in Clarion Hotel Aviapolis.
Reservations from this allocation are to be made latest on Friday, 11 March 2022.
- Single room: 110 € / room / day
- Double room: 130 € / room / day
The prices include breakfast, taxes, Wi-Fi and free use of sauna and gym.
HOW TO RESERVE A ROOM FROM THE ALLOCATION?
When making a reservation from this allocation, kindly contact the hotel via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via tel. +358 10 850 3810. The sales office is open from Monday to Friday at 09.00 - 16.00. Kindly call the hotel if you wish to receive the confirmation immediately.
Please mention the allocation name "VTT" when making the reservation. Other details required for making a reservation are:
- Full Guest Name(s)
- Arrival Date
- Departure Date
- Valid Credit Card details (card number and expiry date) for guarantee
- Email Address
- Telephone Number
Each guest reserves and pays for own accommodation and the room account is to be settled directly at the hotel prior to departure.
Cancellation Policy for Reservations made from the allocation
Each individual reservation can be cancelled free of charge latest 16.00 / 4PM local hotel time on the day of arrival. Late cancellations or no-show reservations will be charged to the credit card guaranteeing each reservation.
Welcome to join our evening network banquet at the seminar venue on the 5 April! Share your thoughts of the day and continue networking with other seminar participants while enjoying a light buffet. The evening network banquet is included in the seminar admission fee.
Each participant will receive a name badge which should be worn at all times during the seminar. The name badge will also be your entry ticket to the evening banquet.
VTT is following official guidance regarding organizing live events. If the pandemic situation causes more stringent restrictions, we will postpone the event.
If the conference is cancelled due to official regulations, registration fee will be refunded. If attendee must cancel his/her trip due to regulations of country of departure, personal attendance can be cancelled until 4 March 2022, and registration fee will be refunded except the administration fee of 70 EUR.
Updated information about travelling to European Union: https://reopen.europa.eu/
Updates about Finnish government regulations: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases-and-vaccinations/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates/travel-and-the-coronavirus-pandemic