- VTT's main tasks are research and development, and the transfer and testing
- VTT steers and develops its activities in cooperation with industry,
research institutes, universities and the authorities in charge of technology
policies and research funding
- In its operations, VTT follows and develops national policies on technology,
industry and energy
- VTT as a whole is a not-for-profit organisation. We use commercial pricing
for our fee-based services
Project types at VTT
Commercial projects are tailor-made to the
Joint projects are carried out and funded in
cooperation with businesses, research funders (the EU, Tekes, etc.) and/or other
Our self-financed projects are
technology-based, strategic research projects which are aimed at improving our
competitiveness and expertise to better meet the future needs of our clients.
Our innovation process involves developing technologies, applications and
business models in parallel, simultaneous and interactive projects. This enables
us to speed up the process of transforming new technologies into business while
ensuring that our entire innovation process works seamlessly – from forecasting
to research and on to development and commercialisation.
The innovation process
- VTT uses proactive working models and tools in its innovation work both
internally and with clients.
- VTT helps its clients and partners turn technologies into business
opportunities which will benefit society as a whole.
- VTT has wide-ranging expertise, and with our top-level, multi-technological
knowledge we can create technologies that are globally competitive. Our
strategic research generates new technological opportunities which we can
utilise together with our clients and partners.
- VTT supports innovation through its forecasting activities, which explore
the opportunities presented by future technology and generate visions about
future markets and business opportunities.
- Innovation also includes new services, processes, organisational structures,
business models, brands, marketing channels and many other areas. On the other
hand, innovation can arise from new applications or markets for existing
- Research at VTT generates inventions, software and other protectable
technologies, some of which are transferred to the client according to contract
terms, while others are added to VTT's IPR assets.
- VTT offers patent rights and other technologies for business use.
Technologies can be purchased outright or licensed on agreed terms. We can
assist businesses to turn technologies into commercial assets through our
tailor-made development projects and commercialisation reports.
- Our technologies can also play a key role in the launch of new spin-offs or
Confidentiality is a key part of all of our assignments. VTT does not share
or publish any project information without the client's approval.
Projects are defined in detail, normally in a separate project agreement
based on VTT's general terms and conditions and the project plan.
Quality of our operations
- Projects are carried out in accordance with agreed terms and schedules
- We produce accurate and reliable research results in easy-to-read reports
- All our key testing, inspection and calibration methods are accredited
- We have a skilled and motivated workforce and up-to-date facilities and
- We review and develop our operational processes continuously to ensure that
our operations are as efficient and productive as possible
- Our operational system consists of processes, and we use processes in our
quality assurance. VTT is ISO9001:2008 certified.
VTT incorporates the principles of sustainable
development in its services and internal operations in accordance with its
environmental policies and objectives.